Positivity

8:50:00 PM

So I must admit, I've been really down lately. All things considered, it's understandable. But even though I often dabble in depression and wallow in my worries, I honestly dislike that trait/habit of mine. 

Because who wants to be a depressing person? Who wants to constantly feel worried? No one. 

This year, I will aim to develop a more positive attitude. It's easy enough to fake but I don't want to fake it anymore. I want to be positive so that I can be someone who can support others when they're down. Because if you're down, you wouldn't want to go to someone who's weaker and more troubled than you. You'd want to seek out someone who's positive, someone who will be able to help you be happy again and I want to be that someone for my friends. Even though I have few.

I often have D&Ms with my sister and she recently sent me this list because she noticed that I tend to be pretty harsh upon myself. I'm finding that I'm comparing myself more and more to my peers. Since I'm in 4th year now but I still have 2.5 years to go, whereas a lot of my peers are in their penultimate year and with that comes internship applications and graduation jobs etc.etc. and it makes me feel very pressured since I feel like I'm falling incredibly behind my cohort as they achieve great things and have so much experience... I keep reminding myself that although I'm also in the same year, I am following a different path and for me, I technically don't have to do those applications until next year or so.

That said though, it doesn't mean that I am not achieving anything at the moment. I am proud to say that taking on my new role at my company has been a wonderful step forward in my career.


And so, let me share this list with you because I think this list may be of use to those who, like me, fall prey to such self-obliterating thoughts. Or even if you're not one to do that, I still think it would be good reminder;
  1. I am capable: I know I can do what I put my mind to doing. I may not get them perfectly right every time, but I give it my best and I love myself when I fail.
  2. I know who I am and I am enough: I am beautiful. I am not the other man or woman that I envy, but being in my own skin is where I belong. I contribute things to the world that no one else can.
  3. I choose to be present in all that I do: I’m not going to worry about the past, nor am I going to focus on the future. I am going to enjoy what’s in front of me, connect with the people next to me, and seize today and what I can control.
  4. I choose to think thoughts that serve me well: I’m going to stop comparing myself to others. I’m going to stop focusing on the things I can’t change. I’m going to be strong about what I can.
  5. I share my happiness with those around me: I have joy that other people can benefit from through words and expressions. I know the best things in life are shared, so I will spread what resources and positivity I can to those around me.
  6. My body is my vehicle in life; I choose to fill it with goodness: I know this is the only body I will receive in this lifetime, and I will treat it with respect. I will provide my body the fuel, exercise, and care it needs. I will remain whole and lovely at my core.
  7. I feel energetic and alive: no matter what my health condition is, there are things about my body that I appreciate. I will hold on to the beautiful parts and send away any pain and aches. I choose to live the way that I think.
  8. I am confident: being me is enough, and I choose to be the best me that I can be. I am worthy of being respected and acknowledged, and what other people say or do won’t affect the way that I view myself.
  9. I always observe before reacting: I will take in the situation, the people, and what needs to be done before I take any action. I will understand what the situation needs and act accordingly.
  10. My life is unfolding beautifully: no matter what my circumstances, there is beauty everywhere I turn. I will drink it in and look at the silver lining rather than the dark clouds. I choose the light in my life.
  11. I know with time and effort I can achieve: I will focus on progress rather than perfection. I know that I can get anywhere I choose, and be anyone that I want to be. I know it will take time, and I won’t be discouraged by setbacks, but instead propel myself forward.
  12. I love challenges and what I learn from overcoming them: I take all obstacles as chances to get stronger. I don’t let them define me, but rather, I define the outcomes.
  13. Each step is taking me to where I want to be: I am where I am because it’s where I’m meant to be. Each action is another step on my path, and I will value the journey and keep my eye on my destination.

Okay, so some of the points above may be very cliche and cheesy. But you get the gist. Some things nails it for me... others are more like a nice thought. #9 is definitely one that I will struggle with the most. I am just naturally very emotional and reactive. I'm someone who would watch the lamest movie in the cinemas, bitch about it to the person next to me all throughout the movie (and probably annoy them too), but when a character dies in the movie, I would be balling my eyes out. I'm not the most rational person... it takes a lot of effort. 

Don't get my wrong, if it's someone consulting me about their problems, I'll be logic girl 101 but when I have a problem I would be running in circles and circles.

Sigh. Anyway. Point is, I want to improve!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Subscribe